Children in Year 5 have been doing their Bikeability Safety training. This involves learning skills on a bicycle in the about safe cycling.
Below are just some of the skills the children learnt during the training:
At Level 1 new riders learn to control and master their bikes in a space away from traffic such as a playground or closed car park.
At Level 1 pupils can:
- Carry out a simple bike check including checking the air of the tyres, and the brakes.
- Ride independently and stop the bike quickly with control.
- Manoeuvre safely to avoid objects.
- Use gears correctly.
- Look all around whilst cycling without losing control.
- Control the bike with one hand and be able to signal to the left and right
Level 2 takes place on local streets, giving trainees a real cycling experience. Trainees learn how to deal with traffic on short journeys such as cycling to school or the local shops.
At Level 2 pupils can:
- prepare for on-road cycling
- start and finish an on-road journey
- recognise typical hazards
- let others know what you are about to do
- know where to ride on the road
- pass parked vehicles and side roads
Well done to all the children who took part- they learnt a lot!